Thursday, September 19, 2013

It's a Boy!


Gender discovery day!
Last night I realized two things. One: the appointment was an hour earlier than I had thought (so without Stephen I would have missed it.) And two: I had to go to the ultrasound with a full bladder. Commence Susie fit.
True to form, I was rebellious and chugged 20 ounces shortly before we got to the appointment. No hour wait with 32 ounces in my bladder for me. 
It worked out perfectly. My bladder was full enough for everything to be picked up clearly and the technician kept complimenting me on my fortitude. (I told her I have immense bladder powers because I work retail, but I wasn't in any discomfort whatsoever.)

I had been worried that the baby would be a little brat and make it difficult to ascertain gender, so I had prayed for an easy, clear view. Those prayers were answered. Five seconds into the ultrasound, the technician calmly says...



She was so calm, that both Stephen and I stared in disbelief and demanded proof. And proof was easy to find.  Helpful baby that he is, mini Maurer was lying on his back in a spread eagle position. No guessing required.
Another Maurer boy! Maurers have boys; it's their trademark. And although I'm determined to make sure I contribute a little Maurer girl one day, having a boy to join his uncles and cousins is just too precious. Plus, it works perfectly with the tradition that inspired the middle name! The second I knew baby was a boy, I was thrilled. Bows, ruffles, and love of all things feminine withstanding--I feel so blessed that this firstborn is a boy. It feels so natural, right, and perfect to call the tiny baby inside me ''him'' and I love the utter joy and love radiating from my husband.

Of course, after he had been so helpful, baby decided to burrow deeper into my already tilted backwards uterus, making it quite the game to get the necessary measurements. And side profile? Psssh. Child decided that he was actually a shy boy and put his little hands in front of his face the whole time. The three ultrasound prints we were given are pretty blurry, generic, and boring ;). But the shot of him with his little hands hiding his face was utterly precious, and is permanently ingrained in our memories.  Just imagine a little baby in utero with tiny hands in front of tiny face. He looked so personality filled, and I keep teasing Stephen that he's going to have his personality.


Babycakes measured to due date perfectly and is delightfully average (and stubborn and shy).

20w, 3d.
He does have a name. A perfect, adorable, manly, strong, splendid name, that quite a few people know. However, it's staying off the interwebz (facebook, instagram, this here blog) for a while.

It was reassuring to learn that the weird pain I've been having and the fact that I haven't felt even the slightest twinge of baby is easily attributed to my uterus doing its own thing.

Today we learned another Maurer boy is on en route to joining the world and we are utterly delighted. (And I'm still insisting upon teals and not baby blue!)

2 comments: