Monday, December 9, 2013

Pregnancy Confessions--Finals Week

32 weeks is FINALS WEEK.

In honor of being roundly pregnant during finals, I took time off work. For the first time ever.  It's amazing how working only 20 ish hours in one week gives you so much time for projects, tests, papers--and my all time favorite: sleep.

But in other news...
This baby jumps a lot, and every time he does I think of Elizabeth carrying John the Baptist in the Bible. I wonder what this child will grow up and do.

Being pregnant during the Christmas season is...rewarding. I was worrying about something the other day, only to realize that Mary had baby Jesus in a stable...as in on hay. She also traveled how many miles on a donkey whilst pregnant. I'm proud of myself for sitting in a comfy car with a heater. Christmas story: perspective given.

In lieu of this season of thankfulness (because, Thanksgiving may be in November but Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ!!!!! What better reason to be thankful)
I'm thankful that...

  • I'm still working, looking like a stuffed penguin with a green cape, of course.
  •  That I work at the place that I do with its awesome treatment of pregnant ladies. Not only do I not have to fear discrimination because I'm pregnant, but everyone is so understanding, helpful, and supportive. Starbucks, I love you. Forever. 
  • A baby bump carries with it a command to be kinder to its bearer. All it takes is a little rub, and maybe a comment, and all but the grouchiest of folks soften up. It's really hard to be mean to a pregnant woman who's smiling back at you. Truly. 
  • My multi-talented husband. I adore real Christmas trees for their scent, nostalgia, looks, everything--but I am totally inept at putting them up. And obviously, incapable of hauling them around. My husband prefers the fake ones for their practicality and simplicity. But of course, we have a real, live Christmas tree in our living room, that my long-suffering husband put up by himself. There's also a slew of Christmas presents under that tree (since we have a lot of immediate family between us) that he [expertly] wrapped, while I laid on the couch and complained that my back hurt. 
  • There's a thing as short shifts, where I can work a decent pace and not come home and feel incapacitated.
  • Long shifts which teach me perseverance and faith. 
  • There's such a thing as ribs. Because mine are this baby's favorite things to kick and poke. 
  • That while pregnant, you're in glorious stage where the more you eat at dinner, the cuter your belly looks. (I might have a problem, admittedly.)
  • For sweet friends who don't mind (and even proclaim to like) my addiction to Instagramming bump pictures. 
  • Pregnancy apps exist. Otherwise I'd never know what week I was.
  • My doctor appointments are short and boring, because that means baby and I are healthy. He's growing. I'm growing. He's getting gaining weight at an excellent rate, and I'm gaining it at a slow rate. 



Yeah...I should probably stop with the copious eating now. 

And for little miracles, like the crib fitting so beautifully in our room. (Thanks again, husband. You are fantastic and then some.)
The Winnie the Pooh motif is awesomely ironic because I'm the last person in the world to actively choose a theme like that. And yes, I know there needs to be more sheets and less stuff in there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment