Saturday, September 14, 2013

Pregnancy Confessions round 3

Conversations with a pregnant Susie.

''From a co-worker, "Everyone keeps complimenting her hair and she keeps telling them she's knocked up.'' I actually blamed it on the prenatals, but this synopsis is hilarious.

Stephen: "Babe, why can't you swallow regular pill prenatals? I've never had a problem swallowing any pills."
Me: " You can swallow pills and I can grow a human being and push it out of my body."


A friend: "I'm really picky about doctors."
Me: "I don't think I am. I have a baby that I need to pop out of my body in a few months and I found a doctor who knows how to get a baby out. I'm good."


Stephen, while at Panda Express, "We should get rice."
Me: in my very loud, tired, voice "Ew, rice. I hate rice. Why would anyone get rice."
Stephen: "You do know that you're the only one who thinks that."
Me: "Yes."

And other ramblings 

The golden rule of NEVERRRR GO  FOOD SHOPPING WHILST HUNGRY applies tenfold to pregnant women. Stephen and I just went grocery shopping for dinner and I wanted to eat something on every.single.aisle. (Incidentally, clothes shopping while hungry is a good thing since one's tummy is flatter--not counting pregnancy.)

Second trimester energy boost?
Lies. At least for me. Excuse me, but I'm craving ten hours of sleep a night, which is pretty difficult with eight hour work days and trying to graduate. A clean house? Pshaw. That is for the energetic.

My work shirt is only appropriate because I wear an apron, so no one can see my rounded belly peeking out.
19 weeks.
And don't be deceived by the smile. I was in quite a bit of pain due to Stabby-like pain that makes me keel over and yell.

I've been feeling mildly guilty that I don't walk around in pregnancy-induced euphoria, carefully minding what I eat, and spending all my free hours dreaming of cuddling a screaming infant. 
Instead, I do things like this. 
Yes, there's caffeine in that Snapple. It's delicious. 

Sister's 16th birthday party. I bought way too much candy. Pregnant and hungry--bad combination. I am original in the non-Pinterest sense, though. 
Of course, this is just the precious amount of free time I have after working days upon eons in a row. 

But then I read THIS POST!!! by a veteran mama and felt so much better. Her point essentially is: we can't take a break from life to be pregnant. There's so many rules attached to pregnancy, that women feel obligated to stop their "normal" lives and live "pregnant'' lives. Kendra (the brilliant blogger) argues that a woman might be content to do that if she wants only the 2.1 perfectly spaced children and no.more.ever. and really is willing to consecrate her life to the growing baby phase, but it's really unrealistic for most women. (She's on her seventh kid, so pregnancy is pretty much her normal.)
This isn't to say that she advocates skydiving or binge drinking while pregnant, but she reminds  women everywhere that it's only debilitating pregnancies that should radically change one's schedule. But don't take my tired, incoherent word for that, read the awesome post linked above. 

One last thing...

The VOTE of 2013!
Hairbows vs Mustaches?!
What will baby Mau Mau be?


Art work lifted from here

Thursday, September 19 is the day of reckoning. The Day that we discover if the mini is a girl or a boy. 
I've always loved the idea of an oldest girl and frankly, hairbows  and tutus are just too dratted adorable. 
But Stephen is now gunning for a boy, and our preferences have absolutely no sway (which is awesome, I think). So Thursday is the day we learn what God designed for us.
And we are so excited!

P.S., this does not mean that a nauseating wave of bright pink or bright blue things will be on the agenda. I like teals, grays, yellow, all in  the ubiquitous chevron stripe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment