Saturday, January 11, 2014

My baby shower: life affirmed

My baby shower was....

Smiling faces.
Gentle hugs.
Genuine laughter.
Delicious, adorable cupcakes.
Yummy candy. 
An elated grandma to be (actually, two).
A not-too-swollen-pregnant lady.
A beautiful refurbished schoolhouse on a dairy.
And so much love. 

My baby shower was wonderful, joyous, perfection found on earth. It was hosted by my mom, who rose to the occasion of party planner, and banded together with my sister and some friends for a stellar occasion.


Baby's name is not to be released on the interwebz until his birth, so "baby boy" labels abounded.

I gave the (absurd--sorry) stipulation of a teal, gray, and yellow color scheme. Evidently there's dozens of shades of teal. Still, everything melded together beautifully.

My mom took some awesome shots with camera. Of food, of decor, of my sweet childhood friends, of women who have watched me grow up. Unfortunately, those amazing pictures will probably stay on her camera for a while, due to dial up internet, and the literal journey it takes to upload them.

So my three iphone--then instagrammed--pics must suffice..


(Sorry for the double of me: note the awesome colors)
It was cute, without being cutesie. Creative, without screaming I'M FROM PINTEREST
Perfection


When baby man is a few months old, and truly thinks the world revolves around him: you can blame his aunties (and not pictured: uncles and grandparents). 

One of my favorite parts was 
The cupcakes--they have bowties!!

Made and designed by the fabulous lady who did the groom's cake at our wedding, the cupcakes satisfied my pregnant palette and all other palettes there. 


I didn't catch a picture of my darling mother--I stopped at the cupcakes--but she was such an amazing part of the event. Her devotional was simple, sweet, and poignant, and I felt absolutely overwhelmed with love.

I was so blessed by each person attending, and since I didn't write a guest list, it was a fun surprise watching people walk in. As an extrovert, my love language has so much to do with people's time and attention, and so obviously, I was in my element. 

There's something about being enmeshed with love, in a room filled with people validating a baby, life, and the reality of motherhood that turned my baby shower into a lifelong memory. 

From my "second mothers" who told me I looked adorable--not almost 37 weeks, to one who affirmed my birth location, to the young mother who shared with me the trials and joys of first motherhood, to the friends my age who are rejoicing with me--and staying my friend through it all--to my sweet sisters, mom, and mother in law...thank you all. (Run on sentence? Try marathon.)

Thank you all. Our little family was so blessed by you all today, and by your presence and love (and emotional presence for those who wanted to come but couldn't) you affirmed the tiny life growing in me. And while every child deserves that, not every child gets such a celebration. So thank you. 



2 comments:

  1. I've only met you a couple times (through Harvest Community Church), but wanted to say congrats on your soon to be baby! Such a lovely blog you have here. You are a great writer!

    ReplyDelete