Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Baby Gear That Rocks My World

When I was pregnant, all I ever heard about baby gear was the first time parents buy too much and each baby is different, which while being the definition of truth, is not that helpful.

But, now that Landon is nearing his four month mark (next week!!!), I have my List of life-saving baby gear. And inspired by our recent foray into traveling and vacationing, I'm going to share my thoughts with the interwebz. Get ready, folks. This is the inspired word of Susie right here.

1. The Bouncer 
 
We have this exact bouncer. It's found at Target for $29.99!

We got this magical piece of equipment at the baby shower and it has been used every day since we got home from the hospital. The majority of the obscene number of baby pictures I've posted have Landon nestled in its bouncey depths. It is the one thing that Landon would accept leaving my arms for, back when he was a teeny tiny. I bounced Lando in it while I wrote the last of my capstone. (I'd say edit, but that never happened.) But the second reason why I love, love, love this piece of equipment? He sleeps in it. I know some mamas are crib immediately fans, but I think bouncers work ever so well in the beginning and they are little and portable. So many wins for the little bouncer that could.
The only negative about the beloved bouncer is the 25 pound weight limit, which is a whopping problem for those of us with butterball babies. They need a Chubby Baby Edition.

2. Stroller You WILL Use
Our actual set. Found at Target!

Every family has a different defintion for what will be the best stroller. For some, it's a double for that sure to be forthcoming second child. For others, it's all about the brand. In my case, a jogging stroller travel system. I loved the fact that it would save money to buy them together, and that I would be able to go jogging (or powerwalking) while Lando was itty bitty. Personally, I think jogging strollers "drive" better than regular, four wheeled strollers and I don't mind the extra bulk; it's good for parting crowds. And I don't see the point of multiple large strollers. Who has space for that? (We also have this adorable pop up stroller that's perfect for this shorty in a pinch.) We took this contraption to Six Flags and it was fantastic. Landon was comfortable and protected from the sun, and the undercarriage stored all our stuff.  All the perks of four wheeled strollers, PLUS smoother riding and the ability to take off in a sprint when needed. I love it!


3. Something to Wear


We have this exact one, complete with the stars. I got it at a half off sale!

Baby wearing is awesome, seriously. I'm an intense advocate of using two hands for life, and babywearing makes that possible. There are dozens--if not hundreds--of options for wraps, carriers, more wraps, hybrids, etc, and a lot of people have multiple options. I chose an Ergo because wrapping+newborness seemed like a terrifying combo, but our Ergo is pretty bulky and hot. My "next time around" plan is to find a fairly easy hybrid for the tiny days, and possibly learn how to master the wrap. Maybe. We recently took Landon to San Fransisco, and as an afterthought, brought this along. We attempted to play tourist with the stroller and failed because...stairs and tiny shops hate strollers. So we walked back to the car and switched to the Ergo. It was superb. That tight band (belt?) thing around the model's hips is supposed to help support the baby, and it actually works! I think I was less tired while baby-wearing than I would have been with him in the stroller. Landon loved the cuddle time, and he got to associate new sights with all the crazy sounds he was experiencing. Some uber talented women nurse while baby-wearing, but I seriously doubt my skill level when it comes to that. This model of the Ergo even has a handy pocket to store things--like a phone--in, which was more than helpful for someone who is constantly dropping her phone. (Otterbox was made for me!)

And there they are! The three pieces of baby equipment that make my life ever so much better. That annoying caveat of "each baby is different'' still applies, but I strongly suggest variations of these three pieces.

When you're mother to this guy...

...awesomeness is a requirement.

1 comment:

  1. We love our bouncer too - B still loves it! And yes, a stroller is a MUST. Chris and I walk everywhere on the weekends and I would die without it!

    ReplyDelete