Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Christian Version of "Political Correctness"

The Christian Version of "Political Correctness"

This blog post is about the Christian version of PC, which really isn't political at all. It should be called Christian Correctness.

Everyone has a different definition of what "Political Correctness" actually is, but that definition seems simple when compared to the definition of Christian Correctness. What is actually the right way to live your life? What rules to make? Should there even be rules?

If you've gone to a Christian school (elementary, high school, college), pretty much attended anything besides a seeker-friendly church, or talked to at two least Bible-believing, practicing Christians, you have no doubt experienced  some form (however slight) Christian Correctness.
The common terms for the ideas I'm about to address are grace and legalism. Because everyone has an opinion on these, and there are far too many negative connotations about both words, I'm sticking to my terms. Besides, they're more modern, and ergo, applicable (in my opinion).

We are all guilty of some of Christian Correctness. I know that I definitely use it as a defense mechanism, and it is so very wrong, but so very easy.

Note: this is not to demean those who attend seeker-friendly churches, or the churches themselves. I attended California Baptist University (CBU), the school that produced Rick Warren, author of "The Purpose Driven Life", which is pretty seeker. However, as the name implies, these church lend themselves more to the  original identity of the congregants, rather than have the congregants conform to a given set of rules.

That being said...

My dad was a Baptist-bred kid who went to Mennonite schools in elementary, the infamous Bob Jones Academy (more on that later) in high school, all while attending a slew of different churches, including Presby and Southern Baptist ones. I should also add that he spent time in the Southeast.

He might have been a cowboy boot wearin', seatbelt abhorring, self-employed, homeschooling father, half redneck, half classy, logger rebel but his daughters wore skirts/dresses to church. (And every other formal function there was.) Ever Sunday. It was never debated, questioned, or challenged. And of course, the hemlines covered our knees.

Daddy wasn't a pretentious man bent on meaningless rules. He grew up in a world rife with Christian Correctness to an almost nauseating extent, and despised it. I know that his "skirts past the knee every Sunday" rule wasn't one of hypocrisy, or correctness. He believed his daughters looked more beautiful, feminine, and modest in such attire. I can say this without a taint of worry about the veracity of my claim because neither of my parents ever lectured me about the evils of wearing different clothing, or demeaned/preached about those who didn't follow Daddy's (comparatively) strict standards.

I was around eleven when I asked Daddy if wearing mini skirts was a sin. He pondered  my question and answered me slowly. He told me that wearing them wasn't a sin, but that wearing them can (sometimes) lead to things, which  can lead to things, which can lead to things that are sin. His reply was not one of reeking of brimstone style predictions, or anything of the sort. I remember his reply so vividly because of the complete lack of judgement or lecture, simply a father's wish for his daughters.

The difference between personal/family principles and Christian Correctness is the judgement factor.
Daddy had a certain dress code--for lack of a better term--for his children, but he didn't  look down upon, or turn us against, those who didn't follow that code. It was a personal value.

As I mentioned a few paragraphs ago, Daddy attended the infamous Bob Jones Academy, a school with stellar academics and a dress/behavior code belonging to a century far, far away. The school's dress and behavior code was (and still is, although slowly changing for the better) strict enough to cause [me] mental and emotional stress. Not only were the students required to abide by the rules of the institution, but those rules were held to be a Biblical standard. Those who disobeyed or questioned those rules were subjected to harsh punishments, and many, many sermons were/have been/hopefully will not be/ delivered on the subject of not following those (ridiculous) rules.

This is not to be a rant about Bob Jones. I went there for a semester in high school, and still have fond memories of my friends there, and still am reaping the benefits of the excellent education. 

I am only using the school as an example  of Christian Correctness.

I don't believe rules equate to CC, not at all. At CBU, students were apt to complain about the dress code, which was the loosely enforced "shorts +skirts must reach the fingertips, and no visible undergarments" rule. Comparatively, Bob Jones enacted rule in 2007 that stated that we girls weren't allowed to wear lace edged tank tops as they could be likened to a certain form of undergarment. I don't know if that is still a rule (I pray not) but that was a real and enforced one when I was there.

Rules are necessary for every institution, be it family or school. I know that wearing skirts and dresses to church every Sunday helped instill a feminine spirit and appreciation for dressing appropriately for church in the areas of modesty and formality. However, being chastised by a stern matron for an errant trim of lace, or sighting of a knee cap did not instill anything but rebellion in me.

Other ideas of Christian Correctness vs. Personal Principle

Halloween, an especially applicable one since October 31st is just a few weeks away. This post was actually inspired by a text I sent my mom about how much I actually love the day. Candy, costumes, and pumpkins?! How much more fun can you get? The term Halloween doesn't bother me, personally. I made up my own definition of candy, costumes, kids, pumpkins, and pizza (family tradition). I think trick or treating is so much fun, and I love that I have little siblings so I can still partake in the fun, way after my childhood.

But I know that the very term "halloween" sends shivers down the spines of many Christians. They are understandable shivers. Halloween has nefarious beginnings, and many good mommies have debated whether or not to allow their children to partake in the festivities. Thank goodness that it's harvest time and Reformation Day was kind enough to fall on the same (?) day or day after. I can never remember.
I, for one, have always dressed my siblings up as ballerinas, firefighters, spies, news reporters, cowboys, gypsies..,.the list is endless, and refrained from saying "Happy Halloween" to those who might not like the term.
However, to those who insist on saying "we we don't let our children trick or treat" in a patronizing tone, I extend to you a secret eye roll and wish you a happy whatever you choose to celebrate. But only those who use  a patronizing tone; nice people get a genuine smile and no eye roll.

I actually initiated a spontaneous "reformation daying" expedition at Bob Jones on October 31st, as the word "halloween" was verboten, but I needed a reason to wear a tiara and ask for free candy. :) It was a blast and everyone thought it was hilarious. 

A more dated one is dancing...

I think a few people suspected me of a deadly dose of CC when I had a wedding sans a dance party. Or any dancing for that matter. While that used to be a barometer for how good/godly/christian/churchy a wedding was, it definitely is not anymore. I would like to *laughingly* assure everyone that my reasons for having such an archaic-styled wedding was not because I disapprove of dancing--not in the least. My reasons were those of respect, respect for my father and his preferences, respect for those dear to me who would have been uncomfortable, respect of my whiteness+homeschooledness in the realm of dancing, and the fact that I just didn't care about it.  So fear not, I don't judge those with dancing at weddings. In fact I dance at them...in the dark, or when I know very few people there..because of the whiteness issue ;)

My ultimate point in this rambling epistle is this: values and personal principles are precious things. I have friends and relatives who choose to dress differently, listen to different music, watch different movies,  and eat according to different dietary principles than I do because of their differing principles and I love  and respect them for it. I've never quite fit into any specific "circle" because I radiate a strange mishmash of traditional and modern ideas. Although annoying, I tend to think this is a strength and a sign that I'm not "of Apollo or Paul" but just one Christian trying to find and follow the straight and narrow.

To prove my point about not having a niche...I'm a former homeschooled kid with seven younger siblings, who wears shorts and has a mild addiction to country music, knows every word to LMFAO's "I'm Sexy And I Know It" but didn't have dancing at her wedding-- where she DID wear a strapless wedding dress. 
 If you know of a niche for me, please let me know. ;)

Having more conservative dress or music standards does not make one guilty of Christian Correctness, not at all. As Christians, we are given freedom choose--according to our conscience--many, many different ways of living. It is only when consistently we begin to pass heavy judgement (because, um, we all judge in some ways) on others,  that we begin to enforce the man-made idea of Christian Correctness.

It IS wrong to ignore the commandments and principles set forth in the Bible. Finding and building personal principles for one's self and family should be a prayerful, conscience-searching process. I find myself constantly comparing my childhood's principles to my current ones, and deciding how to refine them. It would be so much easier to simply draw up a rulebook for Christian Correctness and follow it. It would. That's not how my faith works, though.

I know I'm not the only person who struggles with balancing tradition, modernity, and the truth of the Bible in her life. It's pretty much an axiom of the Christian walk. What are other ways "you" or people struggle with maintaining the balance? Opinions on dress codes and seeker-friendly churches? Comments and discussions welcome, requested, and hoped for!

No comments:

Post a Comment