Monday, June 24, 2013

When "Wife" is a Four Letter Word

Don't hate on the wife.


We are much cooler than this girl.

After I got married, I noticed other spouses married to military members would often identify themselves as "Air Force Wife"or  "Army Wife"etc.

 Before then,  I'd never though much about my husband's military career. My thoughts were more like this. "He's in the military, which means we got to get married earlier (at 21), so that's cool." End discussion.

 My IG "about me" and a babysitting profile both mention that I'm an Air Force wife. The Instagram part is for networking purposes and the babysitting ones to explain my moving/living/life situation.

Some women are really into it. Did you know you can buy diaper bags in "camo" patterns? Yes, truly. Think Etsy. And I've never begrudged these women their system of defining themselves. I thought some took it too far, but everyone takes something too far. And I understood... Many military wives (or husbands--not just wives) have to sacrifice their jobs, plans, or making changes to their lives because of their husband's role. That's the way it is. The military, in order for it to function, must be set up so that it exists as an entire lifestyle, not just a job. That means dependents get to travel along, or stay put, and plan our lives around it. So for some women, that's all they are (for the moment, I'd hope). A wife of something service member, trying daily to love him and persevere, all while life happens different that she planned.

And then I discovered an adorable blog that let me in on another secret. There's an entire world filled with [husband's occupation] wives. It's not just military ones!  The blog I follow is written by a young woman my age with an adorable baby and a hubby in med school. So she titles her blog as such. I love her blog. It's cute, sweet, honest, and there's pictures of happy people and a fat baby. Med school is a crazy, exhausting process. The person in med school has to devote his/her entire life to it while in, and the spouse has to hold the pieces together and guide the couple/family.

There are detractors who think calling one's self a [husband's occupation] wife is tacky, self centered, small minded, etc. They argue that a girl wouldn't call herself something mundane like...The Janitor's Wife.  To them I bring the counter argument of the novel Peace Like  a River by Leif Enger. The narrator/protagonist is a janitor's son. His life is shaped and formed by his position as the janitor's son. When something spills, kids mock him because his dad will clean it up. However, it's his dad that keeps the school from falling into a cesspool of muck and germs. (He is also an amazing guy. Read that book!)

Candidly, whether we want to admit it or not, most women [and men with spouses who have jobs, but this about women] are defined in some way by our husbands' careers. My uncle is a high school principal, so my aunt has lived her entire life under the auspice of "principal's wife" and has to live up to that standard. The same is applied to pastors' wives, to small business owners' wives (shout out to my mom), cops' wives (mother in law) and every other wife on the plant.

So yes, when a girl gets married and her husband moves her hundreds or thousands of miles away from home, and she has to make new roots, connections, and define herself, she might say she is an [...] wife. That doesn't mean that her entire identity is caught up in the existence of her marriage license. Or that she is a burgeoning Martha Stewart--just that she is in that phase of life because she married a man in that field.

I think "wife" has become a frightening term. Too often we think it bears implications of a lack of independence, creativity, and the looming cloud of patriarchy.  However, none of the blogs or people I've "met" have defined their roles as wives in that way. It really just means they are "along for the ride" for as long as husband is involved in whatever field he's in.

So let's stopping hating The Wife. Stop needling women because they admit they love their husbands, their babies, or even *gasp* love to cook. (Please, teach me how to *love* it. I can't figure that part out.) Stop lording over the women who admit that they can't pursue a fantastic career, advance in higher education  at the moment because they're supporting their husbands in their venture. It's not called being lazy or dumb. It's called working hard to maintain a loving, healthy marriage, and finding the romance in the mundane. (It's not just for Anne Shirley.)

Finally, for those women who really do only define themselves by their husbands and have no other hobbies, pastimes, or interests aside from being a [ ...] wife...ie, a lazybones who does nothing all day. You're wasting your life. Live a full, vibrant, beautiful life. You will be happier for it, and so will your husband.

Susie is a Christian, wife, barista, student, sister, daughter, and aspiring blogger and writer, who loves the elderly, babies, and a day full of laughter. 

9 comments:

  1. Susie,

    I think that Kyle's current job as a journalist and my current job as a humanitarian marketer put us in a slightly different position. We do our separate things, and beyond encouraging each other through the stresses of our respective occupations, I don't think we "identify" by our helpful roles to each other. However, I think it applies in peripheral ways. Kyle often stirs the debate pot on Facebook, so I find myself identifying as "Kyle's Wife" insofar as I defend his position to my shocked and scandalized friends. And I think he identifies himself as my husband as he works with me on style and clothing choices. Both of these peripheral roles are part of our relation to each other, and we take pride in finding unity there.

    Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope, i'm really happy you commented on this! you and kyle seem to balance separate careers and unity really well. like you said, it's peripheral, and manifests itself in different ways. i love that you two have been able to achieve success in your separate callings, yet are continuously united as a front.

      in a healthy, perfect utopia, that is how we would all be able to identify. and, i think, we should all to strive to work towards that goal.

      i think stephen and i are more akin to you and kyle--mostly because i'm following my own career and schooling path. still,o i'm keenly aware that my life hinges on his job's needs and wants--not ours (particularly) as a couple. but next year the balance may have shifted. life is constantly in motion--hence the adventure :D

      Delete
    2. Another thing is that I would move for his job and he would move for mine (though with the baby I'm excited to say that we're both working remotely a decent amount of the time). But we'd make that decision together and it wouldn't be the military's choice. I really respect your attitude here because I watched my mom as a USAF wife for our early years. The way you approach life and your openness to change seems to make or break it. You can either hold really tight to certain things, or just know that wherever the military sends you, you'll be with your man.

      ...Well, except for deployments. OUCH. :( That was the hardest for my parents.

      Delete
    3. that sounds like such a healthy environment for your baby--being parented by both mommy and daddy!!!

      I realized years ago that I had to have this attitude (I call it the Ruth attitude). While we were dating, I tried to put "our" (really mine, though) needs ahead of the military's call, and it nearly broke us apart. I've discovered that when we both admit that our personal hopes and plans aren't always going to be facilitated by Uncle Sam, and I manifest a happy, positive spirit, we're both happy. This isn't to say I'm one of those dull "always happy and submitting" wives, because I am so not that way. Just that I see life as it is, and resolve to be as Anne Shirley about it as possible. ;)

      Granted, he won't always be in the military. And when he is out, that aspect of our marriage will shift. I'm excited to see what we realizations we find on that path.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a neat post Susie! I love your perspective on being a wife; you described it so eloqently. Thank you for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been ruminating in my head for a while now. Your post the other day was just the inspiration I needed. :)

      Delete
  4. I just found your blog today and have already read this far back. I hope you don't think I'm a creeper. Hehe! I love your blog it's awesome and I especially loved this post since I'll be getting married soon! And, I'm an aspiring author as well! Go writers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge fan of "read ALLL THE POSTSSS" when I find a new blog. :D

      Delete