Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Bikini Question And Its Two Narratives

The "B" word in Christian Culture today.
Bikini.
Random tidbit: one of my cousins calls "zucchinis" "bikinis" and that's what I always think of when the word comes up. So if bikini talk offends you, picture a zucchini and the offensive image is replaced with a ludicrous one.  

A few weeks ago Jessica Rey held this talk about modesty, and in particular, that swimsuit style...the bikini. Instead of the typical aged crone or fundy preacher, stood a slender, elegant, stylish young women, who even sported super-trendy large frame classes. She spoke about body image, beauty, and men and women's interactions with one another. There was no guilt, shaming, or "you, young lady, are causing the male populace to morph into deviants", so she was received well.

Unlike the aforementioned crone or male fundy (fundamentalist), she was hip, young, and loving. And, she offered an alternative.
Enter Rey Swimwear.
Rey Swimwear Facebook page

Jessica Rey is an actress (no clue what she's been in) and a fashion designer. She's designed a line of darling swimwear modeled after Audrey Hepburn's style, and of course, not cut in bikini lines.

After listening to her talk, thousands of women liked her facebook page. Think more than 40 thousand. I am included in the minion of new devotees. I liked her page, delighted that there were cute swimsuit options and wanting to spread the word.
"For those wanting more."
That's all I said.
After perusing Rey's site, I had several realizations.

1. All models look the same. Rey's just look less sultry.
2. Polka dots are absurdly cute.
3. I, personally, hate skirted swimsuits. They scream dimpled granny thighs to me.
4. One pieces just give me the shivers--no matter how cute.

Rey's swimsuits are all one pieces. "Modest" (more on those quotations later) one pieces, with a Hepburn-esque flaire. Like all one pieces, they tend to only look flattering on more slender, straighter figures, or incredibly 'perfect' hour glass figures. And, (this is my personal opinion), they're wretchedly uncomfortable.
Still, I love the idea of offering more options, trendy options, an alternative to itsy bitsy.

I've never been a bikini wearer. My dad was raised rather conservatively, so it was never an option growing up. And as an adult, all the six mile a day runs still couldn't change my endomorph frame into a frame long and lean enough to warrant a bikini (in my opinion), and I have pale Irish skin. I rocked the tankini top and board short ensemble. And I do mean rocked it. Due to those beautiful curves that bless us endos, I looked just as attractive in a tankini as many slender (normal--not fake, plastic, orange models) look in bikinis.
So, while I've never been one to sport one, I'm have plenty of lovely, beautiful, godly friends who do.

 I love the non-judgmental approach, the new options (limited though they may be), and the discussion that lead to the talk and creation of Rey Swimwear.

However, Jonalyn from Soulation had a different approach to the entire discussion.
Is Itsy Bitsy Wrong?

Like Jessica, Jonalyn's love for God manifests itself in her love for humanity. She is kind, gentle, thoughtful, and persuasive.
She argues that showing beautiful form isn't wrong, that being more vulnerable can be a good thing, that dressing in the extreme version of modesty can be immodest (drawing attention to one's self) and the modesty ultimately stems from the heart. It's that final point that drives her entire discussion and theory. She also makes the point that Rey's swimwear isn't free of feminine beauty or sensuality. (Which, I don't think they're meant to be.)  She also points out that a few inches of fabric shouldn't be the deciding factor between "modest" and "immodest"--it's really deeper than that.

One idea. Two narratives. Both of them stemming from the resolve to love ourselves and respect others. But which one is right? Or are they both? Or neither?

The resulting conclusion is that the modesty question can't be solved by inches of fabric, or petty rules, or the theory that women are saints and men are animals. It's about a spirit, a mindset, and awareness.

Jonalyn's right--a few inches of fabric does not immediately constitute modest or immodest. Jessica's right, it's easier to make healthy choices if there's more options available.

I'm thankful these narratives are floating around the internet. We are blessed that the discussions (or modern versions of those) that were once held in coffee houses are now held over the interwebz. Blessed. However, we must used this information, dialogue, and ability to debate wisely.




No comments:

Post a Comment